You need a valid driver’s licence to drive on South Africa Roads, otherwise driving without a driver’s licence is an offence. Getting a driver’s licence in South Africa is easy if you know the process:-
– Firstly you need to attend a driving test centre near you to book a test date.And since you have have already done learners driving test and passed, you need then to have the following documents with you to hand over to DLTC.
– Your learner’s licence which should not be expired
– Identity document (ID) or valid passport if you are a foreigner
– Four identical black-and-white photographs. You must first confirm with the DLTC how many photos they require before you have photos taken.
– Proof of postal and residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the of owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
– If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address
– Booking fee.
Complete the notification of change of address or particulars of person or organisation (NCP) form.
Complete the Application for driving licence form (DL1) at the DLTC.
Keep the receipt as proof of payment and as confirmation of the test date and time.
On the date of the test, you must be at the DLTC at the specified testing time. Your receipt and learner’s licence will be verified before you proceed to the test.
You will be assessed by a qualified examiner.
If you pass the test, your fingerprints will be taken and you will undergo an eye test at the DLTC. Alternatively, you may have an eye test performed at a qualified optometrist and submit the form at the DLTC.
If you pass the driving test, you must pay the issuing fee to receive a temporary driving licence, which you will use while you wait for the ordered driving licence card.
You will be notified when your driving licence card is ready for collection. You must collect your driving licence at the DLTC where you made your application.
Your driving licence should be ready within four to six weeks.A temporary driving licence is issued immediately.